This traditional French stew is a welcome addition to any repertoire and now is the time to learn; it’s the perfect winter warm up. Thanks to our resident French fare experts, L’Assiette, for sharing their wisdom with us.
Beef Bourguignon for six people
2 kg free range beef cheek
300g brown onion diced
100g chopped garlic
30g fresh thyme
1.5 litres red wine (Burgundy is best!)
500g button mushrooms, quartered
400g carrot, diced
2 litres beef stock
200g smoked bacon lardons
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the beef cheek overnight in red wine.
2. Drain the beef but keep the wine.
3. Brown the beef cheek in a large heavy bottomed pan and add the onion, garlic, bacon and thyme and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the red wine and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Add the mushrooms, carrots, beef stock, bay leaf and simmer for a further 2 hours until the beef is tender.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with roasted potatoes and baguette to dip in the sauce!