In 1903 the site where the Barrington Building now stands was leased by a German named Gustav Kronfeld. As a young man, Kronfeld travelled to Samoa and became a trader, later developing trade links between Auckland and the Pacific Islands.

Kronfeld built a four-storey warehouse, designed by architect John Currie, to house his Auckland import-export business here. He dealt in u2018Samoan and Island curios, tinned fish, fruit and vegetables.

u00a0After his retirement in 1915, the building was leased to ironmonger and hardware merchant Mason Struthers & Co. It was later sold to John Bates & Co, a china and crystal merchant, who occupied the building from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Dating from 1905, this former warehouse has been cleaned out and leased on an interim basis. It is presently home to several fashion retail and office tenants.

Art, shopping and fashion

In the 1970s the first floor was occupied by the Barrington Gallery, operated by Deputy Mayor Dr Lindo Ferguson. The gallery opened with an exhibition featuring Picasso engravings and works by nine local painters, and continued to showcase leading New Zealand artists.

In 1975 an eight-shop arcade opened on the ground floor, linking Customs Street to Galway Street behind. In 1992 ownership of the building was transferred to the Auckland City Council and the Auckland Regional Council.

Today the ground floor is home to fashion retail, largely dedicated to menswear. The Barrington Building will be fully renovated as part of the Britomart redevelopment programme.

Read more about the history of Britomart

Find The Barrington Building
10-12 Customs Street East
Britomart
Auckland CBD

MORE LIKE THIS...

Takutai Square

In the heart of Britomart lies Takutai Square, the precincts main gathering place and home to downtown Auckland's only . . .

Masonic House

Built in 1885, Masonic House was one of the earliest buildings on the northern side of Customs Street. Designed . . .

Charter House

Rescued after years of neglect, Charter House has been almost completely rebuilt and is now integrated into the new . . .

Britomart Car Park

This large low-rise building houses essential parking facilities for the precinct and a luxury gym. The Britomart Car Park . . .