Prominently located on the corner of Customs Street East and Britomart place, this development incorporates the fully restored historic Charter House.

The Charter Customs Building was the first of the new buildings to be finished at Britomart. It was completed and handed over to Westpac, its principal tenant, in December 2008.

It was built as the first component of Westpac New Zealands new head office complex, Westpac on Takutai Square. Three air bridges above Galway Street link the Charter Customs Building to the second component to the north. The Charter Customs Building was designed by Australian architects Johnson Pilton Walker in association with Auckland-based firm Peddle Thorp. It was designed to integrate sympathetically with the historic character of Customs Street, echoing the form, mass and facade ordering of the neighbouring heritage buildings. u00a0On completion it was awarded a u20184 Green Star – Office Built rating by the New Zealand Green Building Council (NZGBC), the very first u2018Green Star – Built rating to be awarded by the NZGBC.

Charter House integration

As part of the Charter Customs development, near-derelict heritage building Charter House was substantially rebuilt and integrated into the new building. One of its most striking internal features today is the Westpac staff cafe and break-out area on Level 3. It sits within the roof space of the rebuilt Charter House and features the old buildings exposed original beams, parking and brickwork.   Find The Charter Customs Building Cnr Customs Street East and Britomart Place Britomart


Masonic 1.jpg

Masonic House

Built in 1885, Masonic House was one of the earliest buildings on the northern side of Customs Street. Designed . . .

Atrium on Takutai

This stunning covered shopping and food gallery connects Takutai square with the precincts eastern perimeter and is home to . . .

Seafarers Building

Offering views of the Waitemata Harbour to the north and Auckland City skyline to the south, this 1970s building . . .

Barrington Building

In 1903 the site where the Barrington Building now stands was leased by a German named Gustav Kronfeld. As […]

. . .