Designed by architect B. C. Chilwell of Chilwell & Trevithick, the Maritime Building was erected in 1946 on a site previously occupied by an engineering workshop. It displays Neoclassical, Art Deco and Modernist influences.
As its name suggests, the building has a long association with the shipping industry. It was originally built as the head office and passenger service centre of the New Zealand Shipping Company, one of the earliest maritime companies in New Zealand. Later the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O) occupied the premises, followed by the Union Steamship Company.
The facade of the building was modified in 1953 and a third storey was added in 1971. By the time its restoration began in 2004 it was very run down.
Cooper and Company undertook an extensive refurbishment of the building, carried out by Cheshire Architects in consultation with heritage specialists Salmond Reed Architects. The exterior was repaired and replastered, the lobby refurbished, the original steel-framed windows restored and extensive new glazing completed on the ground floor. Read more about the history of Britomart Find The Maritime Building
130 Quay St Britomart Auckland CBD