The Nathan Building and Australis House, two of Britomarts most beautiful heritage buildings, are now being transformed.

The Nathan Building (1903) and adjoining building Australis House (1904) are currently being fully refurbished as part of the Britomart redevelopment programme, transforming them into hospitality and luxury retail spaces on the ground floor and premium offices on the upper four levels.

For the upper office floors, the dividing wall between the two buildings will be removed to internally provide large floors that seamlessly span across both buildings.

Australis House and the Nathan Building are both Historic Places Trust Registered, and the transformation of the two character buildings, on the edge of Takutai Square, will represent the biggest heritage refurbishment undertaken in the precinct to date.

The interiors of both buildings are being carefully restored under the watch of heritage architects to preserve and enhance their beautiful historic features, with the developments upper floors enjoying spectacular views out over Takutai Square and to the Waitemata Harbour beyond.

Several key interior features of Australis House and the Nathan Building are being faithfully preserved and restored. Their interiors are being stripped back to empty shells, with the original rough-sawn timber ceiling beams and distinctive herringbone patterned bracing being retained as a highlight of the reimagined, loft-style space.

Original brickwork is being stripped back to form striking character feature walls, and modern, high-spec amenities and services are to be installed, including new timber windows, modern air conditioning, lifts and bathrooms.

Read more about the history of Britomart   Find The Nathan Building 40-42 Customs Street East Britomart Auckland CBD

 

MORE LIKE THIS...

4h7C0VBSiQoUyyW9xXxJBk1R2gznD4wDUXLXbHdC-N8.jpeg

Maritime Building

Originally head office for one of New Zealand's first maritime companies, this building is now home to the offices . . .
Levy 1.jpg

Levy Building

Now fully restored, the former warehouse was once home to the Young Service womens Club. Architect Edward Bartley designed . . .
carpark.jpg

Britomart Car Park

This large low-rise building houses essential parking facilities for the precinct and a luxury gym. The Britomart Car Park . . .
Kiwi Tav 4.jpg

Kiwi Tavern

Originally built as a crockery warehouse, this building has housed a succession of popular hospitality venues u2013 a tradition . . .