This former police station and head office of the Colonial Sugar Refining Company has been fully refurbished and repurposed.
The Colonial Sugar Refining Company leased the site in 1902. The company owned the Chelsea Sugar Refinery at Birkenhead, and needed a location close to the port and railway for its head office.
The single-storey brick structure was designed by architect Charles Arnold and completed in 1904 for u00a35000. The Colonial Sugar Refining Companys Sydney office oversaw the construction, shipping over building materials including the Wunderlich stamped zinc used in the interior.
Administration offices lay at the front of the building. Sugar, which arrived from the Birkenhead refinery three times a day, was temporarily held in the store and yard at the back.
The Colonial Sugar Refining Company remained in the building for more than 50 years. In 1961 the New Zealand Police took over the lease and the building operated as the Wharf Police Station until 1993.
In the 1980s the Wharf Police Building was one of the buildings described as unlovely and shocking by the Auckland Harbour Board, who supported its demolition. It was saved by the collapse of the Kupe development scheme following the 1987 sharemarket crash.
In 2009 a full renovation of the building was completed by Phillimore Properties, who have since sold it on.
The building is notable for its well-preserved interior, which includes the original police offices and strong room, mahogany partitions and 1920s toilet block and courtyard.
The original sugar store and cart dock at the back have been refurbished and a modern roof terrace added within the original roofline.
Find The Wharf Police Building 102 Quay Street Britomart Auckland CBD