Built for the New Zealand laundry company in 1906, the Quay Building has been through many changes and tenants over the years, but after a major redevelopment in 2014, the old girl has never looked better.
The original three-storey structure on this site was designed by Auckland architect Robert de Montalk but extensively modified in the 1920s.
New owners added two storeys in 1922 and in 1924 Robertson Brothers, builders and contractors, and Lewisham Limited, agricultural product merchants, moved in. In 1927 four shop fronts were added and 14 businesses occupied the building.
Radio Ltd took over in 1935 and for several decades most of the building was a radio factory.
Creative new direction
In the late 1980s contemporary art gallery Artspace occupied the Quay Building. Also in the building were the studios of 13 young artists funded by arts patron James Wallace, founder of the Wallace Arts Trust.
Then in 2014, a major renovation project saw Quay Building totally transformed to house food and beverage tenants on the ground floor with office spaces above. Reinstating many of the old features that had been destroyed in previous renovations, the project was thorough and detailed and has resulted in a beautifully restored building.
Find The Quay Building
108 Quay Street