Prepare what will be the most popular Summer dish, given to us by Fukuko.
FOR THE TERIYAKI SAUCE
220ml mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
140ml soy sauce
FOR THE CHICKEN
200g boneless chicken thigh
- In a saucepan, combine mirin and sake, and bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- Once boiled, turn heat down to medium and add soy sauce and sugar, then reduce to the consistency you like (approx. 8 minutes).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken, and in a large pan, heat oil on high and add the chicken – cook from the skin side first.
- When the skin side is nicely brown, flip over and reduce heat from high to medium. Place the lid on and steam for 2 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the oil.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan with the chicken (the hot pan enhances the teriyaki flavour), and once it has thickened, remove from the pan.
- Cut chicken into the sizes you like and serve.