in the centre
of waterfront

The Chief Post Office / Britomart Transport Centre,12 Queen Street.

The Chief Post Office / Britomart Transport Centre 12 Queen Street

The Chief Post Office was designed in the Imperial Baroque style by John Paton with government architect John Campbell, and opened by Prime Minister William Massey on 20 November 1912. It has white Oamaru stone and grey Coromandel granite on its main facade and marks the western edge of the Britomart precinct. The building, now a Category One Historic Place, served as the city’s main post office until it was closed in the 1990s; an art deco addition to the rear in the 1930s was demolished to make way for a new extension designed by Mario Madayag and Jasmax as part of the building’s transformation to the Britomart Transport Centre in 2001. 

Copy to go here