Excelsior House and Stanbeth House, 22-28 Customs Street East
Excelsior House was built circa 1885 (its architect is unknown) for Brown, Barrett & Co: tea, coffee and spice merchants who eventually moved to the Masonic Building next door. Neighbouring Stanbeth House was designed by John Blaikie for produce merchants Coupland & Co and built around the same time. Half of Excelsior House was demolished in the 1930s to allow for the widening of Commerce Street, which explains the lack of symmetry of the façade when viewed from Customs Street East. Maunga, a mural by artist Shane Cotton, was installed on the western wall of Excelsior House in late 2020.