Kiwi Tavern, 3 Britomart Place
Currently closed for refurbishment, this 1910 building was designed by architect John Currie as a warehouse for a crockery business. The ground floor was leased in 1920 by motor engineering firm WR Twigg (Twigg himself was later killed in an encounter with a lion while game hunting in Zimbabwe). In the 1970s, the building was home to the legendary restaurant Clichy’s before becoming the Kiwi Tavern in the 1990s. Mexico restaurant now occupies the ground floor.