The fourth generation in the Hedley family of booksellers, Anna Hedley popped into Hedley’s Bookshop X Karen Walker Pop-Up to share some gifting ideas with us.
Tell us about your pop-up store.
We’re really excited. We have a family-run business, Hedley’s Bookstore in Masterton. We’ve been in business for over 110 years. I’m the 5th generation. My dad runs the business now. We’ve been collaborating with Karen Walker, bringing a collection of books into her stores.
This year for Christmas we’ve got a pop up concept store based in Britomart. The theme for the store is 1960s art and music scene, guided by Michael Cooper, who took photos of people like the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Andy Warhol, Marianne Faithfull – all these amazing artists – and he captured the essence of that decade. Those photos are presented in a book called Blinds & Shutters, which is an incredible limited edition photography book that comes with a set of amazing prints. There are only 60 copies available worldwide, 50 available in New Zealand exclusively. We’ve also got many more music books, vinyl and limited edition photographs
What’s the name of the store?
The name of the store is Hedley’s Booksellers by Karen Walker Bookstore and Exhibition Space.
I’m not sure the name is long enough.
It’s so long!
How will you be spending your Christmas period?
I’ll mostly be working at our store in Masterton! Then, after New Year’s we’ll relax by the pool. Nice food. Hopefully have some sunshine this year.
How do you treat yourself at Christmas?
I tend to buy myself something I’ve been eyeing up all year. This year it’s definitely going to be something from Karen Walker’s jewellery collection. She’s got these amazing oak leaf hoops, which I would love to wear on Christmas Day. A little treat to myself. And just hanging out with my family and friends and having a nice glass of red wine.
What else is on your wish list this year?
- There’s a photo of Twiggy from the Michael Cooper collection that I would love to have. It’s so cool.
- And I’d love a scented candle from Jo Malone London, to have going as I’m all cuddled up with a good book.
What about a Gift List?
- I’d like to get my dad a voucher for Ostro, because he’s always wanted to go. And it’s right upstairs.
- My best friend has just bought her first house and there are some beautiful champagne flutes in the window of World, which are the sort of things you might not splash out and buy for yourself, but I think they’d be a really nice present.
- I think books make really cool presents. My favourite is Just Kids, by Patti Smith. It’s a beautiful book, and she’s a beautiful writer. We have a new illustrated version of it.
Wish List | Gift List is our Christmas interview series that we hope will be all the gift-buying inspiration you need. Read more tips on great gifts to get for yourself and your loved ones from these Britomart experts: